To reward and promote strong potential and talent in visual art a $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to either a first year or a continuing student who demonstrates a strong commitment to further developing his/her artistic talent. To receive this award, the student must enroll in college in the fall following the offer of the award.
NEW APPLICATION DEADLINE will Be Announced SOON!
Student must meet the following requirements:
- Candidate must be a graduating senior from a Carbon County, Montana high school or a college student who graduated from a Carbon County, Montana high school
- Candidate desires or is pursuing a degree that will lead to an art-related career. Eligible fields include: art history, visual communications (graphic design), media arts (photography, film, video arts), studio arts (sculpture, painting, drawing, printmaking, etc), and design (textiles, fashion, etc). Additional areas eligible for consideration are the folk/traditional art forms like saddle making, ironwork, and beadwork, etc. Contact the Arts Guild if you have questions.
- Candidate must meet the minimum overall grade point average requirement (at least 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale)
Materials to Accompany Application
Student must provide the following materials:
- Official Transcript: A copy of an official transcript for each high school or college attended
- Letters of Recommendation: Three written letters of recommendations from persons not related to applicant but are familiar with student’s work. One must be from candidate’s current or most recent art teacher.
- Portfolio: On a CD of thumb drive provide 5-10 images of recent work with information including: title of each image, date created, medium, and dimensions of the work on a separate sheet. The portfolio should include a variety of two-dimensional or three-dimensional works but should emphasize the candidate’s strength in a specific medium, especially drawing, painting, sculpture, ceramics, or photography.
- Essay: A typed 500-word statement expressing 1) career goals and a personal commitment to the pursuit of a degree in an art-related field OR 2) why art is important to you and your vision of yourself as an artist.
- Application Form: Signed application form and accompanying materials must be completed and received at the Arts Guild no later than 5 pm on April 14, 2023.
A committee will select a candidate based on the merits of all works submitted by the April 14, 2023 deadline. Selection will be based on:
- Scholarship committee’s opinions on student’s talent or potential for success
- Letters of reference
- Scholastic achievement based on high school/college transcripts and, if applicable, college grade point average
- Candidate’s personal statement
- Portfolio that demonstrates artistic talent and technical development
The scholarship winner will be selected and notified by the committee. The winner will be announced to the public Saturday, May 6, 2023.
Award of Scholarship Funds
A college/university issued confirmation of enrollment in art or art-related classes shall be sent to the: Carbon County Arts Guild, P.O. Box 585, Red Lodge, Montana, 59068 no later than Friday, September 22, 2023. Scholarship fund will be sent directly to the college or university in which the student is enrolled. Failure to provide this information before the deadline will result in forfeiting the scholarship funds.